Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy Mother's Day, Mum!

Just in the nick of time - yesterday - I accidentally stumbled upon the vital information, that today would be Mother's Day for my own Mum, and all my fellow homeland Mummies in the UK!

A timely phone call to my big sis, who just so happened to refer to Mother's Day in reference to her own kiddies, had me swearing at my forgetfulness, or at least my total unawareness to the goings on back home.

It's incredible how much we let society - or should I say, the commercial industry - guide us between 'holidays', and here in the US, not a single card, or sign, or gift idea can be seen on a store shelf, to save us hapless foreigners from letting down our loved ones back home. But why would there be? Mother's day isn't until May!

So I'm terribly sorry there's no card waiting for you Mum. I don't really have a good excuse as to why. After over 20 years of honouring Mother's Day in the UK, you'd have thought the month, at least, would have stuck in my memory.

I did a bit of Google research, and it seems that Mothering Sunday, back home, is always the fourth Sunday of lent. Here it always falls on the second Sunday in May. Well OK!

Now I know - and hopefully this will be the last year I forget to send my Mum her well deserved card on the right day. In fact, I think I'll let my Mum have both countries' Mother's Days from now on!

Now that I'm a 'Mommy' myself, that doesn't seem like such a bad idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment